If you live with a partner who is violent against you, you can reduce risk with an individual safety plan that can be adjusted to the specifics of your situation, to your needs and abilities. But despite various safety measures, you can never eliminate the possibility of experiencing violence when living with a partner who is violent. Do trust your judgement because the situations differ.
When you are facing the danger of violence, try to do any of the following:
- Go to a safe place. Avoid the places without exits and places where sharp objects are placed.
- If children are present, send them out (to the other room, or to the neighbors).
- Shout as loud as you can: “Help. Please, someone call the police!”
- Run to other people or crowded places (a market, a bar, a restaurant …).
- Call 113 or ask someone to do it.
- If you can't go to a safe place and you are hit, protect your head and stomach by leaning over and using your hands as protection and shout loudly.
- Leave the place as soon as possible and find help.